+ inload: Adding Story +

+inload: Adding Story+

+ Having pontificated about loving Adeptus Mechanicus yesterday, here's a picture of my old Braun VI Skitarii regiment from around 2006(?), now sold. Sorry about the size of the picture, which seems to be breaking my blog!





+ I was really proud of these guys, as they were my first all-custom army. Every single model was converted and personalised, which was a lot of work, but great fun. It really got me thinking about the army as a collection of miniatures, rather than as a group.

+ That sounds a bit peculiar, but what I mean is that whereas before I was thinking of 'squads with X weapon', I began thinking of each model as an individual, with his own story and character. I've always enjoyed personalising models, but whereas before this process had been 'hard' or rules-led – i.e. a character with a particular set of wargear or equipment to demonstrate their personality and story – now I began to look more at the 'soft' approach. Rather than showing the relic 'Hammer of Hubris' on a model to mark him out, I became interested in how I could show ruthlessness, hesitation and similar elements of character on a miniature.+


'Little' Horus Aximand, of the Sons of Horus
+ Little Horus (see left) is a good example of where I took this idea. The army was built to portray the force in Dan Abnett's excellent short story Little Horus, which explored the doubts this character had about rebelling against the Emperor.

+ I tried to show this by having an open pose, his weapons to hand but not en garde. He stands facing his right, but is taking a hesitant step in the other direction.

+ His sword, Mourn-It-All, is pulling him towards his right. The sword represents old oaths, loyalty to the Emperor, and the battles he has already fought in his name. His face is also turned this way.

+ However, the trailing scrolls, and pteruges (loincloth) are pulling him towards his left, sinister side. This is also where his helmet – which represents his cold, logical side, and loyalty to Horus – is upside-down to symbolise doubt and confusion. It has a half-moon etched above the eyepiece, a detail lifted from the story that neatly echoes his internal dilemma.

+The overall pose is still, but not static. I don't like models that look like they're on parade (at least, unless that's the intention!), and the minor asymmetry adds a little dynamism without being too distracting.

+ Ultimately (spoiler warning!) we know that Little Horus follows the rebellion, so the small step he is taking to the left confirms him as loyal to Horus. +


+ The expression on his face is obviously important as well, but using paintwork to show character is something I'd like to go into at a later date.

+ Adding story to a miniature is something that can really be brought about through posing, and it's something that rewards a bit of forward planning.+

No comments: